POWER HOUR Professional Development Series
Thank you for your interest in giving back to Lehigh University by sharing topics of interest with your fellow alums!
POWER HOUR is designed to provide alumni with information to enhance professional and personal success through continual learning and professional development resources. We welcome topics in any areas, but specifically we would like topics that would appeal to our large diverse professional alumni population. We are interested in hearing from alumni presenters who can speak on topics including:
(insert your great idea here!)
Our experience is that Lehigh alumni consistently have good information to share. We welcome your proposed presentation topics!
How to Apply to be a Presenter and Schedule a Presentation
1. Complete the online application form.
2. Prepare a topic outline for your presentation and a brief bio for us to introduce you at the beginning of the web seminar.
3. Read, print out and sign the release form. You can fax it to 610-758-3316 or scan and email to the event moderator. This gives us permission to record the session, post written materials you use during the seminar on our website and electronically send those materials to participants at their request after the web seminar.
4. The event moderator will contact you to conduct a brief phone interview and to review further steps. (Alumni Speaker presentations will be held from 12-1 p.m. on Fridays.) Consideration of topics is based on topic relevance, industry trends and scheduling needs.
Preparing your Presentation
1. Presentations are scheduled for 60 minutes, and we find that presenting 35-45 minutes of specific content with concrete examples engages the audience and leaves enough time for interaction and questions at the end of the program.
2. Asking participants to do pre-work tends to be less effective than suggesting follow-up resources after the presentation. We are happy to send alumni electronic versions of your presentation, including follow-up resources, after your presentation, when requested.
3. Please send the event moderator your presentation electronically no later than one week before your scheduled web seminar. PowerPoint is the recommended presentation format. Please contact the event moderator ahead of time if you have other formats in mind.
Using Adobe Connect
1. Alumni Career Services uses Adobe Connect online conferencing software that allows participants to hold live web seminar sessions. To sign on, all parties access a special website to enter the appropriate meeting room. You will need to have high speed internet, speakers, a microphone, and the latest version of Adobe Flash. If you do not have a microphone, we can send one to you. We encourage you to schedule a practice session prior to your presentation to get a feel for how it works.
Publicizing Your Presentation
1. We advertise the Alumni Career Speaker Series through the Lehigh University Alumni Association web site, the Alumni Career Solutions web site, the Lehigh Alumni Group on LinkedIn, the Alumni Career Solutions Facebook page, Young Alumni Council, and other Alumni-related channels. We encourage you to let your Lehigh friends and colleagues know about your presentation as well.
Conducting Your Presentation
1. The event moderator will contact you about a week before your presentation to answer any questions you may have and schedule a practice session if you have not yet done so. Please feel free to contact the event moderator with any questions or concerns at any time prior to the day of your web seminar.
2. Plan on entering the meeting room in Adobe 15-30 minutes before the session starts, based on your comfort level. The event moderator will help you get your materials in place.
3. The moderator will introduce you and turn the presentation over to you. During your presentation, please refrain from direct selling or marketing of products or services with which you are associated.
4. When your presentation and the Q&A session are over, the moderator will thank you and after some housekeeping details, end the session.
After Your Presentation
1. Some presenters are willing to hear from alumni after a web seminar to answer questions or conduct other follow-up. If you wish to do so, we recommend you include your contact information in your presentation. Confidentiality policies prevent us from providing you with contact information of alumni who attend your presentation for use on listservs and/or solicitation purposes. Separate from the presentation, alumni participants may choose to opt-in to listservs or provide their emails directly at their discretion should you provide an opportunity.
2. We will be sending all web chat participants a survey to evaluate the program as well as a link to the archived session. We can share the survey feedback with presenters.
Thank you very much for volunteering to be a part of this special program!